Today, I title this message, “What’s Next” because I believe it’s a question we all should be asking. As a matter of fact, we should take responsibility to find out what’s next for this generation.
In America, there are 33 million teenagers alive.
I believe as the church, and as teenagers, we should be asking the question “What’s next?”
Name brands like Abercrombie & Fitch, Adidas, Nike, NBA, Target, Coca Cola, ESPN, NFL, MTV, Apple, Vans, Forever 21, Taco Bell and Urban Outfitters are asking what’s next with this generation. Some of them spending thousands of dollars trying to get some answers. [Positive or negative, whatever captures the hearts and minds of this generation, will soon become a way of life for all people.]
I believe God’s Word makes it clear what’s next for this generation in Acts 2:17.
Acts 2:17 (NLT) “In the last days," God says, "I will pour out my Spirit upon all people.Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams."
Define Next: Immediately following in time, order and sequence.
As I challenge you to pursue the presence of God, you face tremendous pressures.
[Clothes, drugs, sex, God, watching TV]
Pressure or temptations do not care who you are – you must keep your guard up.
Proverbs 14:12 (NLT) There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death.
Pressures and temptation will always come. Why? To try to stop you from fulfilling what God has next for you.
1 Peter 5:8 (NLT) Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.
Proverbs 22:6 (NLT) Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it.
· It keeps them spiritually accountable
· It brings excitement and life to the church
· It produces purpose and potential in them
· It prepares them for spiritual warfare
· It encourages righteous relationships
Proverbs 3:5 (NLT) Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.
As teenagers, you also have a responsibility for what’s next in your life, but you must close the door to the devil.
Ephesians 4:27 (NLT) for anger gives a foothold to the devil.
No one can be caught in a place they don’t visit.
Next Trap- What's keeping you from experiencing what's next in your life?
· Deception – Misleading, double-crossing
· Lust – Satisfies itself at the expense of others
· Fear – False evidence appearing real
· Rebellion – The resistance of any authority
· Distractions – The diversion from the truth
· Denial – Refusing to accept the truth
Proverbs 4:14 (NLT) Don’t do as the wicked do, and don’t follow the path of evildoers.
You are not the first and you won’t be the last young person that God challenges to ask the question “what’s next?”
[David, 3 Hebrew boys, Joseph, Jesus, You]
It comes down to the one thing – a choice. [Life is choice driven. You live or die by the choices you make.]
Deuteronomy 30:19 (NLT)
Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live!
What’s Next Game Plan
Things just don’t happen, they must be planned.
· A preview of coming attractions
· What would you do if you knew
· Vision prepares you for the future
· A personal encounter with Jesus Christ
· Not through your parents
· You are either following or leading
· Be a model and a voice
· To use your gifts and talents for God
· Serve the kingdom
· The ability to be imaginative
· Kids have creativity [Clouds in the sky]
· 90% of 5 year olds' ideas are original
· Boys & girls [sticks & dress up]
2 Timothy 1:6 (NLT) This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you.
· Your culture needs you to live holy
· Reverse the pressure
· The consistent way you live
Philippians 1:21 (NLT) For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better.
· Word of God
· Meditate on the Word
· Put the Word in your heart now
John 8:32 (NLT) And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
· To the Holy Spirit
· Power to take the next step
· God’s gift to you
Ephesians 3:20 (NLT) Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.
As teenagers, let’s make the choice that we are going to please the Father by answering the call of what’s next.